Japanese Cultural Association of Manitoba Inc. - Horizon Club
SURVIVORS WELLNESS DINNER.
The gathering proposed by JCAM is part of the healing process for survivors who suffered the traumatic experiences endured during and after World WarII. The face-to-face event will provide an opportunity to reflect on the past and view short vignettes of some of the survivors.
- Recognize the BC government’s grant to provide funding for Japanese Canadian survivors
- Acknowledge the contributions of the survivors in re-establishing a cohesive Japanese Canadian organization and community in Manitoba
- Celebrate the opportunity to get together at this dinner event after a long hiatus
Participants: Survivors and their families affected by of the actions of the BC government’s efforts to remove Japanese Canadians from the West Coast in 1942 and would not allow them to return to British Columbia until April 1, 1942. The survivors from the Manitoba Buddhist Temple will join JCAM’s event. The attendees will be fully vaccinated.
When: April 17, 2022. This date was chosen to coincide with the the 70th anniversary of the first arrival of internees to Manitoba on April 13, 1942 to work on the sugar beet farms.
- Japanese lunch/dinner held at a hotel for the survivors and families
- Showing of short vignettes organized by the History Committee
- Showing some of the family histories created by the young JC filmmakers
- Taping of reflections of individual survivors
- Listing ID: 1525
- Primary Applicant: Japanese Cultural Association of Manitoba Inc. - Horizon Club
- Event or Completion Date: Saturday, June 4, 2022
- Approved Amount: $10,000
- Location: Winnipeg, MB